Why People Are Making Such a Hoo-Ha About Online Video These Days
While on a consulting call with a dear client last week, I was suddenly asked...
"So what's the big hoo-ha over online video these days? It's important for websites, right? Do we need it?"
Whether or not video is right for this particular client is not the focus of today's post.
Instead, we're simply going to take a super-quick look at a few concrete reasons (recent statistics/findings) behind why there's such a hoo-ha. Don't worry, you'll be be back checking out funny woodchuck videos in no time.
Reason #1: Videos Influence Buying Behavior
- Visitors who view product videos are 85% more likely to buy than visitors who do not. (Internet Retailer, April 2010)
- Stacks and Stacks found that shoppers who viewed video on their product pages were 144% more likely to add to cart than other shoppers. (Internet Retailer, March 2011).
- Step2 found that shoppers who viewed their online videos were 174% more likely to purchase from them than viewers who did not. (Channel Innovation Awards, 2012)
Reason #2: People Want to Watch Videos, Dammit
- According to Website Magazine, consumers are willing to watch videos 60% of the time they are found, and 52% of consumers report that they are less likely to return a product after viewing a video.
- More than 3 out of 5 consumers will spend at least two minutes watching a video that educates them about a product they plan to purchase, and 37% will watch three for more than three minutes. (MarketingCharts.com, 2012)
Reason #3: Videos Help With Search Engine Optimization
- Attivio discovered that pages with videos achieved a 157% increase in organic traffic from search engines. (MarketingSherpa, December 2011)
- Blog posts with incorporating video attract 3 times as many inbound links as blog posts without video. (SEOmoz, October 2009)
Starting to get the picture?
Video can be very powerful. Hence the hoo-ha. (And on a final note: if you happen to be looking for an excellent video company in Colorado, contact us, we can refer you to some great ones.)